There's nothing more irritating than when an electric appliance is malfunctioning and it's always at the most inconvenient of times. Fortunately, electric fireplaces are pretty straightforward and easy to diagnose and fix.
Below are some of the most common problems and solutions with electric fireplaces not working.
The flame is working, but no warm air is coming out.
Make sure the thermostat knob is on the highest setting, usually by turning it clockwise.
The heater is on, but no heat is coming out.
The best thing to try here is to turn everything off, unplug the fireplace for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. This gives it a "hard reset".
The unit keeps turning off by itself.
The most likely culprit is the remote control. Replace it or insert new batteries. If this is related to a circuit breaker, see #5.
The ember or glass is glowing, but no flame is coming out.
Go to the back of the unit and take off the back panel. Check whether the spinner spindle is connected to the motor and if the flame generator is running. If you are confused, reach out to us.
The unit keeps turning off and blowing a circuit breaker/fuse.
There's most likely a short circuited wire, either on the unit or the outlet itself. First try putting the fireplace into a different outlet to see if that was the cause of the issue. Additionally, if you plugged in a new appliance and it's on the same circuit, it's possible it's drawing too many amps and when you turn the fireplace on, the added amps trips the circuit breaker. If you think another electronic piece is causing the issue, unplug it and see if the problem with your fireplace persists.
The heater fans are really loud.
The accumulation of dust may be causing the heater to strain. Make sure the louvers and log cavity are clean and free from obstructions.
Unit overheated and heat element won't come back on.
There is a safety mechanism in most electric fireplaces that will turn it off automatically if the unit overheats due reasons like obstructions (blankets, pillows, etc). Unplug the unit for 10 seconds and plug it back in.
The embers, flames, or logs are dimly glowing.
Make sure there is no loose connections or wiring. Replace any if necessary.